Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Gear-gasm

Soldier Systems posted a new camera from Olympus, their new Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 14MP Digital Camera.



Crushproof up to 220lbs, shockproof up to 6.6ft, waterproof to 33ft...
My first ever digital was an Olympus of some sort, and it was a combat casualty in Afghanistan. Had it on my vest, and it ended up bouncing off the butt of my rifle during a convoy down to Kabul.  The camera still worked, but the LCD screen was shattered, so you couldn't really change the settings or know if the card was full.
My replacement was another little Olympus, and that one took a hit one day biking.  Took a spill on a hilly road doing about 20mph, landed on the camera in it's little cloth case, slide about 15 feet down the road on top of it... no damage.  Not even a scratch.  It's served me well for quite some time, and I still take it kayaking and stuff, but the 4.1 megapixel sensor is just pushing it for me these days, and I know it's not waterproofed for more than a light rain.
Needless to say, I've been pretty impressed with the durability of the little Olympus point and shoots, so one that's reinforced and built to take abuse is simply a fantastic prospect.  Plus it comes in black for the tacticool points.
Of course, I need another camera like I need another gun.........................

No comments: