Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bikes...

Went for a quick night ride, was kind of hoping I'd get caught in the edge of the approaching storm (hey, my single speed needs a wash and I'm lazy.)  Two things learned: I need at least one bright headlight, my little single led Knog Frog is nice for quick trips down well lite streets, but venturing out into the boonies gets a little sketchy.  Secondly, around flat ol' Central Wisconsin, single speeds rock.  My road set-up has a retarded gear ratio (54 tooth ring and a 16 tooth cog on back...) and it's great here.  I can pretty easily just cruise at 20mph down any smooth flat road.  Plus it's super quiet and super low maintenance.  Air up the tires and lube the chain occasionally, that's pretty much it.

Thing is, I'm a XC mountain biker at heart, and I saw this one on Trek's website the other day... As a 6'4+ biker, the concept of 29" wheels has a certain allure, and the lower approach angle with those big hoops lends itself well to my preference for slightly more technical trails (not like trials riding or anything, but I do enjoy a good log stack every now and then.)

Multiple hobbies suck... my wallet hates me.

3 comments:

Ripcode on ARFCOM/WEVO said...

I feel your pain as I have similar hobbies. Firearms, new mountain bike and a recent kayak purchase. Expensive but so worth it!

I am really enjoying your blog!

Fred said...

Yup, can't forget my "free" kayak. I've only $150+ on kayak specific gear, and another $500ish for the roof rack on my car to move the bikes and kayak around... loads of fun though.

Anonymous said...

I'm 6'2" and enjoying the hell out of a Gary Fisher Super Caliber 29er full suspension.

It's my favorite bike of all time.