Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Agree

The advantages of .40S&W aren't that much better than 9x19 to justify the price.  I've never even given any thought to owning anything chambered in fo'tay, I've always figured for the price I may as well just shoot .45acp.  Modern 9mm bullets and loads are much much better than the virtually archaic FMJ loads that spawn the horror stories of nine failing to stop bad guys.

Apparently Rob Pincus agrees, and he's pretty smart.  Also SayUncle, and he's a pretty credible source as well.

Right now I've got 34 rounds of 124 gr. +P jacketed hollow points... if I can't take care of the problem with that, I should have gotten my ass to a rifle 17 rounds ago.  Not to mention I can actually afford to shoot it on a regular basis.

7 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

All i have for pistols is .45acp and some .38spl for the revolvers. I'm short on variety.

Jester said...

I run with a .38, two .40s, one 9mm and one .45 for combat power. I have a choice of platforms I can use. For practice I can reload so costs are not as much of an issue. With my 9mm and a heavier load 124 and up with modern hollow points I do not feel particularly undergunned. However I do like pushing more weight down range so the .40 in 180 grn weight is a decent compromise to me for total capacity between a 9mm and a .45. Now, I think all those cartridges are well proven in their own ways. When you switch to a FMJ however things change up and I will not be carrying 9mm if I can help it. That aside my dedicated house gun is a Sig P229 in 9mm, outfitted with CTC laser grips and a streamlight, and nightsights. That gives me a very versatile platform that I know well.

Bottom line is everyone can fight about these cartridges for hours around a couple of beers. In modern hollow point bullets it is like the 30-06 vs 270 all over again. Gives us something to do while we are fortunate enough to have our choice for our own comfort.

Phil said...

I concur. I shoot .40 because that's what the agency gave me. I recommend 9 when people ask, because I only shoot .40 since someone else buys the bullets.

James said...

No .40 for me either. I'm not even sure I'll buy another .45, something deep inside me really craves a very shiny 10mm 1911.

If I do get another .45, it will probably be an M&P.

NotClauswitz said...

It really makes me want that sweet 70's era 9mm 1911 Commander I saw at a shop a while ago...but then I have to buy a whole new caliber in stacks.

Fred said...

Well, if you give in, buy it, and then decide to orphan the poor thing again, I'd be willing to give it a loving home with a steady diet of quality 9mm.

Mike W. said...

I agree as well, which is why I own 4 9mm pistols and will soon have a 1911 in 9mm.