Monday, April 4, 2011

Exercises in Frustration

The range trip today was one.



















Contrary to popular opinion, my example of the Ruger 10/22 is far from a reliable gun.  Going through a single magazine without it stovepiping at least once is rare and cause for celebration.  It's a shame, as the gun is comfortable, handy, and fun to shoot (when it works.)  It only gets worse as the gun gets dirty, the last mag jammed on every-other round, the stovepiped case preventing the bolt from fully catching the fresh round, leading to a double feed when trying to clear it.  Great times.

On top of that was a constant 20-30mph wind.  I wasn't shooting far, or for any type of accuracy, just smacking some spinners around, but you couldn't leave anything lightweight on the bench.  About five minutes after laying down my empty rifle case went tumbling past me, and when I got up to grab it, the whole mat went over, dumping the rifle and box of ammo all over the ground.  Great times. I hate wind.  (Note to self: six little wire tent stakes need to make their way into the range bag...)

Hopefully I'll get back out in a couple days with a different gun and better weather.

8 comments:

Mark said...

Mine does the same at least once every other mag. I use the same federal blue box ammo too. I always assumed it was the cheap ammo.

Fred said...

This one does it with all the ammo I've tried.

Poptart said...

That's a shame man. Mine runs perfectly, I've only had one failure to feed in over 3000 rounds.

The only thing I can think of causing the failures in your rifle is maybe the recoil spring is to long/strong. You might wanna try buying a new one or reducing the one in the rifle. Also, give Ruger a call and they may be able to help you out.

Whats the rear sight your running? Looks very M1ish

Fred said...

http://www.tech-sights.com/

Very much M16A1 style sights, even uses an A1 sight tool.

One of these days I'll get around to messing more with it, but it just hasn't been a priority since I have a decent spread of .22lr rifles of various forms.

sobriant74 said...

That is a shame, my two 10/22's are the mainstays of my range trips and I enjoy them immensely. I've had a lot of luck with the Winchester 333 bulk packs of 36 Grain Hollow Point Copperplated, they have a muzzle velocity of 1,280 feet per second which supposedly provides for improved cycling in semi-automatics. I dunno about that, but I do know that since I switched to those packs, I haven't had any problems in my 10/22's or my 22/45.
Also, I love the tech sights TSR200 I have on one of my 10/22's, they are awesome and really helped me out at the Appleseed shoot I went to last year. I went to college in Hartsville, SC where those are made and have met the guys who run the company a couple of times, can't say enough good things about their company and their products.
Hope you find a solution to your 10/22 or just break down a buy a new one, I think you may have just gotten a dud.

Unknown said...

I was going to go shooting yesterday too, but once I stepped outside and watched a garbage can being blown down the street I decided it might be a little too windy...

James said...

I've got a Beretta NEOS .22 pistol with the Beretta Carbine kit.

I've never seen a semi-auto .22 work completely reliably, but as long as I keep my magazines clean and use high velocity ammo it's pretty reliable (the magazines actually seem to be more important than the action when it comes to cleaning that thing.)

With the carbine kit installed and and el-cheapo TruGlo reflex sight mounted up, it's more fun than any other gun I own.

JimB said...

Take the gun apart and remove all of the grease from the bolt and receiver. Lube them wih a dry lube. They won't gum up in the cold and it won't accunmulate as much crud.