Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Small guns...

One area I haven't really had a chance to venture into.  I mean really small guns.  The smallest centerfire handgun I own is my CZ-82, and it is far from what I would consider a sub-compact.  I have always liked the look of tiny guns though, and I would love to own an old Colt vest pocket pistol.  But living in Wisconsin, I haven't had enough of an excuse to get something in that size group.

Over the weekend though, I had the chance to run a few rounds through a Taurus Millennium Pro chambered in .45acp.

The double stack 10 round mag filled up my hands pretty well (granted I've got large-ish hands...) and the little dimple on the frame just ahead of the trigger was perfectly placed for my offhand thumb.  The trigger was surprisingly pretty decent, and overall the fit and finished seemed pretty nice, even for a used pistol like the example my friend has.  The Hienie Straight 8 sights are a very nice touch as well.  Overall it was pretty controllable, and seemingly accurate enough for such a stumpy little barrel.  I didn't bring any .45, so I didn't want to shoot up too much of his ammo though, so I only put a few rounds downrange.

Overall though, it's definitely going on the list for possible CCW options if that ever comes to be 'round here.

3 comments:

Robert McDonald said...

I want to pick up something small enough to carry comfortably in my pocket at some point. I'm really liking the look and feel of the SIG P380. I prefer carrying a larger gun, but I'd love to have it as a BUG or for times when clothing requirements or discretion really require something very well hidden.

Fred said...

The little Sig is a good looking gun. I almost bought a Colt Mustang at the last show I went to, and probably would have if I hadn't found the '03A3.

The Taurus is more of what I'd use for an EDC piece in my mind. 10 rounds of .45 in a small package is pretty decent.

Anonymous said...

I love my 9mm Pro. Solid, eats anything you feed it and goes bang every time.