Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Portage County Open Carry Picnic

Happened last Saturday, and I missed it.  I had other obligations across town that the powers that be deemed more pressing.  Slightly miffed about that, but Uncle Sam keeps waving money in my face.
(*disclaimer: I'm not trying to take anything away from my fellow soldiers, but having just gotten back in the Army two months ago, it seemed a bit silly going to a "welcome home" parade for a deployment I wasn't part of.)

The Stevens Point Journal ran a couple articles about it before it happened, one announcing it, and a second announcing the change in venue after the Sheriff threatened to enforce unconstitutional laws if it was held in a county park.  Amazingly, the Mayor of Stevens Point welcomed the group.  I guess I should say "thankfully," but to be honest, the guy never struck me as that sort.  He was listed in MAIG for a brief time...

Unfortunately, due to the other big event going on in town, the Journal hasn't gotten around to running anything about the picnic itself, at least not in their print edition from what I understand (I'm currently out of town, so it'll have to wait till Friday to confirm.)  However somebody did write a blog post on the Journal's website, and I can only imagine noodly appendages guided the writer's fingers.

Go read it.  It is outstandingly friendly to our movement, and I can't believe that it has any connection with the local fish-wrapper.
 There's much more too it, but overall, it's amazingly positive towards our movement, and towards any pro-carry movement, open or concealed.

All those present were fully clothed: there were no jammies, as you would see in Wal-Mart on a daily basis.
It was the most respectful crowd I’d ever witnessed. There was a handshake and a welcome for everyone; even the one woman who stopped by with her son, full of concerns and questions about the group’s intentions.
I think we can certainly chalk this one up as a win.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, I thought WI was an open carry friendly state...
I on the other hand am in enemy territory (for now) not far from (but thankfully not living in!)Mordor.
Good article. I thought it was interesting that he commented about the smokers having to step away to light up... as compared to sitting around with a bunch of folks wearing "heat".
McVee

Fred said...

Wisconsin is OC "friendly," and it is currently our only option. Portage County just has an out of date ordinance banning the open carry of firearms on public property, and the county board refuses to acknowledge the unconstitutionalness(?) of said ordinance. The Sheriff knows he can't enforce it on private property such as retailers, so he's playing the game his way (he is very anti-OC, but nobody has really tried to run against him in a while...)

I don't think the smokers "had" to step away, I think it was showing how considerate they were being towards non-smokers. As a former one I can definitely tell you that it is a greatly appreciated thing.

Anonymous said...

Got it. That would be nice. Wish list for Me: I had a good outdoor public range nearby.

I misread the line regarding the smokers at the event, I had scanned the article quickly and thought He was making a compare and contrast statement. His writing style, The way He separated His sentences made them standout. It probably didn't help that My 5 year old Son was pushing action figures in my face in an attempt to have Me crawl on the floor and be the bad guy's voice while I was reading the article.
Best,
McVee

Fred said...

There's a free public range in the next county over from where I live (about a 20 minute drive.) Of course, as will all things free, you get what you pay for there. But until I make my millions on the interwebs or something and can buy enough land for my own range, I'll just deal with it I guess.