Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mossberg 930

So with the bolt handle now installed, I think I've got the gun to a good place.  Not much else I can think of that would easily improve it, maybe ghost rings down the road, but it's still pretty quick shooting as is.
















I started off with a barely used standard Mossberg 930 with the factory 24" ported barrel.  I stuck with that barrel since I plan to use it more for competition than home defense or anything.  The porting helps keep it under control, and the ability to use choke tubes is a good idea to me.  The factory barrel also came with a red fiber-optic bead.

The 24" barrel also let me tuck a beastly +5 mag extension from Nordic Components.  The factory tube holds 4, and you can float a round on the lifter, bringing the total full up load to 11 rounds, counting one in the chamber.  Added the tube clamp from them as well to keep everything together and keep the tube straight.
Also the charging handle from them, which I just blogged about.

I also slipped a GG&G Remington 870 sling plate under the extension and added a Gear Sector GS 2P sling and fixed stock adapter, since no long gun should be without a sling (and tan is the new black.)

I also picked up ported Modified and Light Mod choke tubes, since the gun only came with two XXFull turkey chokes, which you absolutely do not want to run slugs through that.

It's a fast shooting and pretty decently handling gun, and the recoil is really not bad at all, between all the porting and the gas system, it feels less than a 20 gauge pump in my opinion.

And most importantly, it just looks cool.

7 comments:

Alex said...

That's a pretty sweet set-up you got there man. I've been looking for a semi auto shotgun and I'm gonna give the 930 a good long look.

Anonymous said...

Does the tube extension length equal to the barrel length? It seems in your first picture that the barrel extends out further but not in the 2nd picture.

Fred said...

They're very close, the barrel is a touch longer, and the extended and ported choke can trick the eye.

taps65 said...

Can you safely shoot rifled slugs also was it easy to replace the bolt handle, if so how. Thanks.

Fred said...

I've got an Improved Cylinder choke in it, so slugs are fine (I've also got a Light Mod, which is still fine for slugs.) As long as you don't get too tight and check the choke it's good to go.

The bolt handle is a breeze on the 930, it's held in by a spring detent, so simply pull it straight out from the bolt and the new one slides right in.

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me the model number on the extension tube?

Fred said...

Looks like they've changed up their site a little since I did this project.

The extension can be found here- http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/nc-extensions/nc-shotgun-extension-complete-assemblies-for-12ga/

and the clamp is here- http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/barrel-clamps/nc-shotgun-tube-clamp-for-mossberg-590-835-930-spx-and-935/